Friday, October 2, 2009

Day Five: Mass Social Experiment (Yellenahs)

Today, the book provided us with a circular red "Out of Order" sign and instructed us to place it on any item of public infrastructure we may encounter throughout the day. I didn't want to destroy the book by cutting it out, so I just wrote "Out of Order" on a piece of notebook paper. Not quite as harsh as the book's, but it gets the idea across.

Now, I'm basically a huge wimp when it comes to things like this. I would have liked to place my sign on something really cool that would really freak people out, but I didn't have the nerve. So I placed it over the buttons of an elevator in one of the academic buildings on campus. And then I ran like hell. Okay, I walked away sort of fast. But I was sweating in fear!

Since I had to go to work, I didn't even get to watch what people did. Instead I am going to provide you with a fictional conversation that may have occurred between two freshmen Long Island girls when faced with the sign:
Girl wearing leggings: "Uhhh the elevator is broken?" (tilts head)
Girl wearing Uggs: "Whattt?" (whine)
Leggings: "How does an elevator even break?"
Uggs: "Uhhh I dunno? Should we try it anyway?"
Leggings: "I don't think so...we could DIE in there!"
Uggs: "But there are soooooooooo many stairs!"
Leggings: "I know, right! The third floor is soooo far away!"
Uggs: "Let's go to Starbucks instead."

I'm pretty sure this is indicative of mass social breakdown. Toward the end of the year when I'm less of a wimp, I also plan to do this more often. For the funs.

No comments:

Post a Comment