Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day Twenty-One: Patriotism Day (Yellenahs)

Today is Patriotism Day! I choose to be patriotic about Moldova. Never heard of Moldova? That's okay, me either.

Moldova is a tiny little European country between Romania and the Ukraine where the people enjoy stuffed cabbage rolls and have really beautiful architecture. They're basically Romanian. The area has been attacked by pretty much every group of armed men ever, and the history reads like a history of Middle Earth. I'm actually 99% positive that Tolkien stole all of his ideas straight from Dacia/Thracia (the early conquerors of Moldova...2000 years ago), complete with strange words like Burebista and Muntenia.

It's probably also full of vampires (not glittery vampires, real bad ass suck your blood whither in the sun vampires) because as a former part of Dacia, it was probably also part of Transylvania, and therefore Dracula resides here. WHICH MAKES IT THE BEST COUNTRY EVER.

I'm having so many patriotic feelings about Moldova I can hardly contain myself. I feel like it's probably a pretty interesting place, with a rich history and culture. I'd like to go there someday.

Except for that it's the poorest nation in Europe. But it's got a low unemployment rate. They'll probably do okay. At least they have vampires.

This is their national anthem. It's beautiful. You'll feel most patriotic if you listen to the national anthem while staring at a map or picture of Moldova. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment