Friday, October 23, 2009

Day Twenty-One: Patriotism Day (Anailuj)

Before I start I just want to point out that Jimi Hendrix had a gorgeous voice. Obviously he was one of the best guitarists ever, but I just think that his mind-blowing vocals get talked about enough. His voice was like melting chocolate, and I think it's especially evident in the song Angel that he should be just as appreciated for his vox and his guitar-playing. That's all.

Anyway, today I was especially patriotic about Hungary. It's capital, Budapest, was a center of Renaissance Humanism (after it had to be rebuilt because it was pillaged by the Mongols, but who wasn't pillaged by the Mongols?), and it has all sorts of nice buildings and vampirey history.

Hungary also has wonderful food with lots of paprika and dumplings, which ahve a funny name but are the BEST. It also has gypsies! Lots of gypsies! I love gypsies! They have great music! I'm pretty convinced that my ancestors were gypsies and vampires. Unfortunately, both vampires and gypsies tend to get a bad rap all over Eastern Europe. Only the vampires have done anything to really deserve the bad reputation.

Other people from Hungary include my great-grandmother, who I was named after. She was one of 9 kids, and she was the only one who got to leave Hungary to come to Canada to work for her aunt. She got married to my grandfather there, then he smuggled her over the border into the US. And that is pretty badass.

First thing I would do if I visited Hungary: Enjoy a spa bath that ues the natural thermal springs that are all over the country.
Second thing I would do: Track down some vampires and convince them to make me one of their own. This typically doesn't work, which is why being an expert on the extermination of the undead always comes in handy.

Anyway, yay for Hungary.

No comments:

Post a Comment